Friday, May 27, 2011

To-Do Lists

It seems that I've been making lists ever since I learned to write. I LOVE making lists. Today, I keep my lists in a steno book. I have some that start with the week and act as a daily planner. The satisfaction of getting a job done, and checking it off is absolutely impowering to me. Of course, with life going on and numerous side-tracks, some weeks don't see a completed list, and those things that didn't get accomplished end up on next week's roster. This is why I sometimes put extremely petty jobs on my list: for that feeling of having accomplished something I'd set my mind to, even if a few major things need to wait another week.

When it's time to garden, a list for planting is made. I should probably be keeping all of those in their own notebook and then I'd have a seasonal journal of what worked and what didn't. I used to be so well organized, but when I moved to the country, that skill seemed to go out the window. Now, I call it "organized chaos". There is just so much to do, sometimes, I feel lucky it's written down in one book, let alone two.

In addition to the jobs to-do list, other notations are marked on that page: reminders, phone numbers, ideas for dinner,,,my life is caught up and displayed on those pages. My shopping list has its own page and, of course, goes with me to the store. If I should ever leave that book behind, I feel as though my brain has been lost! It has happened, and thank goodness I've always managed to retrace my steps to find my precious steno book. Recently, I've taken the precaution of putting my name and phone number on the cover when I start a new book, just in case...

During kidding season, lists are made of does who've kidded, how many kids each doe had, sex and names of the kids, when the does were wormed(usually the same day, after they've kidded). All this information is transferred to my monthly calendar, which is kept forever. All important information about the goats is recorded on that calendar and it becomes a quick reference guide as to when I can begin collecting milk for table.Of course, along with dairying info, daily squares are marked with appointments, important dates to remember, a favorite program not to be missed when one forgets what day it is, and so on. Looking at the notations I put on that calendar further illustrates life here on the farm, year to year. At least, the calendar never leaves the house, so I feel at least a part of me remains grounded...

No comments:

Post a Comment